The nail industry does not stand still, and every season you can notice new trends appearing in nail design. The hot trend of this year is ‘dip nails’ manicure with dip powder, which does not require polymerization in a UV lamp. Fast, simple, durable, and safe – this is all about this technique. Let’s take a closer look at this method.
What is a Dip Powder Manicure?
Contrary to popular belief, powder manicure is by no means a novelty in nail aesthetics. It was popular already in the 80s, along with gel and acrylic, which were still gaining popularity. Now, with the help of dip powder, you can not only strengthen the nail plate but also easily create a spectacular design. The method of work is as follows: a previously prepared nail is immersed in a dip powder. It is worth noting that the immersion option is appropriate at home. In professional nail art studios, qualified specialists sprinkle the powder on top so as not to violate sanitary standards. Such a manicure is something between artificial nails and a regular coating. Some craftsmen call it simply “lightweight acrylic”.
The powder is never used on its own. In tandem with it, you need to purchase a special base, an activator, and a finish from the same company. Only in this way will you be able to make dip nails correctly. The creation of such a design does not require special skills and a lot of experience. Even at home, you can make spectacular dip nails following the recommendations,
Advantages of Dip Nails
Like any nail coating method, powder manicure has its own benefits. But compared to gel polish, it has a lot of advantages:
- lack of an unpleasant pungent odor;
- ultra-fast application;
- a wide range of ideas for a manicure (just take a look at the SNS colours palette!)
- no need to dry in UV or LED lamp;
- does not contain harmful toxic substances;
- the powder coating does not flake off, no chips form on it;
- long wear period (more than three weeks);
- the composition contains calcium and various vitamins for nails;
- liquidated from nails using ordinary nail polish remover (soaking method).
How to Apply Dip Powder Correctly?
Coating nails with dip powder is easy and relatively quick. A manicure involves several stages:
- First, you need to prepare the nail plate by shaping the free edge of the nail and removing the natural shine with a 220 grit grinder. Shake off the dust.
- Apply the dehydrator, wait until it is completely dry (2-3 seconds).
- Then apply the Base Top from the cuticle to the free edge.
- Immediately, without waiting for the base to dry, dip the nail in a jar of dip powder of the selected color. If the work takes place in the salon, then sprinkle the nail plate on top.
- Shake off excess powder with a special brush.
- For a more saturated color, repeat steps 3 and 4 two or three times.
- When the desired shade is reached, you need to apply an activator to the layer of powder and wait until it dries completely, which takes no more than 3 seconds.
- This is followed by another layer of base coat.
- And the final layer that makes the nails glossy is the Top Coat finish. At the end of the process, a special oil can be applied to the cuticle. And here you are – dip powder nails are ready.
How to Remove Dip Powder Coating?
The peeling process is one of the reasons why many people find this technique unusual. In fact, this powder is removed in the same way as a regular manicure. So, it can be removed just with a nail polish remover. Pay attention to the components of the remover you are using. The main thing is that it does not harm your nails. And to keep your nails in shape, we advise you not to forget to use cuticle oil and hand cream.
Is Powder Technique Better than Acrylic and Gel Polish?
It depends on the result you want to achieve. If you dream of long nails or even stilettos, then it is better to give preference to acrylic. If you choose between gel and powder, the main differences will be application (UV light versus powder), consistency (gel is even smoother than powder), and “hold” (gel lasts two weeks, while dipping powder lasts three or more weeks).
The Bottom Line
If you dream of healthy and beautiful nails, then be sure to try the trendy dip manicure. Letting your imagination run wild, you can create your own unique, innovative design. Remember that well-groomed pens are the hallmark of every woman, which is why it is so important to pay great attention to them.